Sunday, August 05, 2007

A visitor

I meant to post this spider photo a couple of weeks ago, but it got put aside until... well, now. I'd been moving chairs in the theatre when I came to one that looked like it had a fair-sized piece of black lint on it. It was quite a surprise when the black lint moved.

I've never seen a jumping spider this big in Alberta. If anyone knows the species or even just the genus name of this lovely not-so-little girl, please give us a call at the nature centre.

If it looks like she was staring at the camera, that's because she was. Jumping spiders have the keenest eyesight of any of the spider groups, and she was definitely keeping an eye on what I was doing.

The green fabric in the background is chair upholstery, if that helps give a sense of scale.

No comments: